Saturday, April 12, 2008

Why do Bloggers Blog?

What makes a blogger blog? Is it pure ego? Self Interest? An outlet? Altruism? Money?

In my case, it's all of the above excluding money, however; I'd be lying if I said I don't want money, but I'll get to that later. Since I remain anonymous and only a handful of people know it's me, and they're not impressed, I can't say ego is my major reason for blogging. Having said that, I don't rule ego out either, because knowing that there is a slight chance that what I have to say may make a difference in someone's life, even if it's only to lead that person to another blog or website by clicking on one of my links.

An outlet? Most definitely. It's very cathartic, and therefore in my own self-interest, yet I think it has more to do with leaving my mark. Knowing I will never be an Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill or Ghandi, blogging immortalizes, as we know, like plastic, the Internet will be around a very long time, at least that's what they tell us.

I excluded money only because I don't make any off blogging and since I've been blogging for a few years now, money can't be my motivation. However; while I'm "immortalizing" myself on the World Wide Web, amongst the billions of other people who are, or soon will be doing the same thing, why not blog for money? Why not get paid for blogging? I don't believe it's "selling out" to advertise on blogs.

Smorty is an alternative to advertising banners because it allows the blogger to write his opinion about products, services and websites and get paid for it.

The majority of us will not be able to retire on the money earned from blogging, but there is no harm in making a few dollars. After all, in a capitalistic society, the worth of something is what people are willing to pay for it. If a woman can sell her cross shaped fish sticks for $80, and a man can break a red pencil, call it "Parting of the Red Sea" and sell it on Ebay for, I believe $30, than it's not so far-fetched that bloggers take home a dollar or two from blog advertising.

0 comments:

Iraq Deaths Estimator
Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition »

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP